Sunday, May 06, 2007

Afraid of the Dark?

When I was a wee tot about a millennia ago a bedroom became available in my house and my mother decided that it was time that I should have my own room. So they moved me into the bedroom next to the one I had shared with my older brother pretty much for all of my entire young life. Now when it came time to go to bed my mother thought that I might be afraid of the dark, though I had slept in complete darkness my whole life, this would be the first time alone. So to head off this problem she decided to leave the desk lamp on hoping that this would help me to not be afraid of sleeping alone in the dark. I screamed bloody murder.

The desk lamp threw-off garish shadows from the bed, closet and desk, which I was sure all the monsters in the world were hiding in. After several nights of this my mother decided to try it without the lamp, and I slept just fine. As it turned out I was maybe the only child on the planet who was not afraid of the dark but indeed afraid of the light. My entire life I have spent taking great comfort in the night, feeling very safe surrounded by the darkness, which I could slip off into and none of my enemies could find me. There has never been any fear for me when the sun goes down which seems to be a sentiment very few people on the rest of this planet seem to share.

When I originally moved into this house eight years ago with my now ex-wife there was street light in the back yard up at the peak of our roof which illuminated the entire back yard turning night to day. The switch for this light was down in the basement, not easily accessed, but since this large halogen light had a sensor that would turn it on at dusk and shut it off when the sun rose it was always left on. My wife and the kids were greatly comforted by this light and the only time I remember it being shut off was on a couple occasions when the ex and I went skinny dipping in our pool and at least one occasion when we slept out in a tent which was when I found out that our neighbor's young adult kids liked to skinny dip in our pool as well. The wife, kids, pool, and the neighbor's kids are all gone now but that light is still there turning night to day.

About two months ago I was down in the basement and I saw the switch to that light and decided I really didn't need it running all night long, so I shut it off. As with many people I have been trying to lower my footprint on the planet, to help in any way I can to put less carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, which means shutting off those unnecessary lights wherever possible. Now this may only be one light, and one might think that shutting off one light won't make much of a difference, but it can. As it turns out that one light, that I paid little attention to before, was responsible for 25% of my electric bill! Fully one quarter of the electric I consume was being generated for one light whose only purpose was to light up the back yard, and most of the time it was doing it was while I was asleep, benefiting no one! Now that seems like a good bit of savings, not only for the environment, but for my wallet as well.

Now its not like its totally dark out there at night, the street lights running up and down my street do a good job of turning night to day, because apparently the headlights on peoples cars aren't good enough. Out back there is plenty of light provided by the old shop across the field that closed down last year but still has a dozen street lights illuminating their entire parking area for no one except one guard, and has at least one of those street lights that burns both night and day. The moon and stars do a pretty good job of lighting up the night, what little of them you can see anymore, as they are mostly blocked out by all those lights we seem to have some need to burn all night.

Which makes me wonder are all the people still so afraid of the dark that they can't just let the night be the night. Are they still worried about predators in the darkness, even though we've wiped most of them out, that they feel a need to wipe out the darkness as well. Can't they enjoy the charms that the night brings, that any skinny dipper will tell you, has its advantages. After all, the only monsters I've found in the darkness seem to be lurking high atop those telephone poles...

7 comments:

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Great post, very thought-provoking; I'm probably a bit too careful in the night, myself. The idea of taking a walk after dark, alone at least...makes me nervous, and I've always been taught that a burglar will be less likely to approach a well-lit house.

Still you bring up some valid points, that make me realize how much I miss the peacefulness of the dark, outdoors, anyway.

I'm filling up the kiddy pool and going skinny dipping, tonight. Just as soon as I shoot out the neighbor's lights.

BostonPobble said...

I too enjoy the darkness of night. It's tough to find in the city for all the reasons you mention so whenever I find myself somewhere less populated, I always take some time to enjoy the velvet dark.

Hope said...

Lovely post! I always wondered about little kids who got down on their hands and knees to see if there was a monster under the bed...what were they going to do if they actually found one!

BostonPobble said...

You okay out there, Dagoth?

BostonPobble said...

Okay, Dagoth, you've been tagged over at mine. Hope you get this and are doing okay...

Dagoth said...

Thanks Guys

G-Girl - Our house was burglarized once and that big light didn't slow him down a bit...hope the kiddy pool is big enough for two...

Pobble - I don't think I'd like living in a big city where I would see less stars than I do now in my small town... yes I'm still around... thank you for the tagging...

Hope - Run like hell to mom and dads room...

kimber said...

Great post -- I have a friend who lost his night vision when he had eye surgery, and I've always felt a smattering of pity for him, because one of my greatest joys in life is rambling about with only the moon and stars to light my way.