Thursday, July 19, 2007

Battlewagon Blues

Tonight my van decided I should stick around at work a little longer than usual. I went out after work, as usual the last one in the lot, and started it and it immediately died. In fact I started it 6 times and it stalled each time right after I turned the key. After that it simply refused to turn over at all. Fortunately the guard was still there and he helped me jump it, but still no dice. The lights wouldn't even turn on. We did have to do a lot of work on my old jumper cables as they had become quite rusty sitting in the back of the van. After working on them a while we were able to get quite a bit of spark, but she was still being stubborn, so I had the guard drive me to the auto parts store to get a new battery.

Now I didn't really think it was the battery, as the one in it is only two years old, but I didn't have many other options at that point. The battery that was in it my ex wife had put in before she gave me the van and it had to be the cheapest battery on the planet, it looked like it was made for a garden tractor. I decided I had very little to loose by buying a better battery.

So we got back and put in the new one and turned the key... no dice. At that point I was quite ready to give up, so I packed my tools away and was going to go back inside to see if I could call someone for a ride when I decided to give it one more shot. I pumped the pedal once (don't ask me why) and low and behold it fired up and stayed started.

I took the old battery back to the parts store to get the deposit (should have brought it with me the first time) and had them check it while I was there and sure enough the battery was fine. Now it has left me wondering what is going wrong with it now. It could be the starter or the fuel pump, but I can't say as I've ever had one of my vehicles act quite like this before. Now I get to wait and see what's going to give out and where it's going to strand me...

3 comments:

BostonPobble said...

I hold my breath everytime I start the Pobble Mobile. She hasn't failed me yet...May the Battlewagon continue to hold out for you!

Spider Girl said...

I ended up buying another car last summer because my car decided to mysteriously die in traffic every few days.

The engine would just cut out and I'd drift to the side of the road, turn it off, and then it would usually start up again.

No mechanic could find anything wrong with it, but I just couldn't trust it anymore. Weird car trouble is just not a good thing.

My sympathies.

Belizegial said...

Oy, I can feel your pain.

Hoping that things are going better this week with the old battlewagon.

Cheers,
Enid