Sunday, July 08, 2007

Photographic Expedition No. 1

Yesterday I went on my first photographic expedition. I thought there would be many when I purchased my new camera, but life has conspired to delay my first one, as life often does. I felt that an expedition should involve a quest, so I decided to make my first quest the U.S. Brig Niagara, which is a recreation of Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry's flagship and is based right here in Erie, Pennsylvania...
When I got downtown to the ships birth, there was no tall ship to be had. I know it had been here on Wednesday when I had passed by this place... I wondered where it had gotten off too and decided to look around for it...I found many sailing vessels, but not quite the one I was looking for...I even found old sailing ships, though they were still not quite the tall ship I was looking for...I looked out over the bay, and though I found Perry's monument over on our peninsula, Presque Isle, I did not find his ship...
I even zoomed in on his monument, thinking perhaps it was hiding (though how could you hide such a large vessel? I just like the zoom feature), but alas still no ship...I searched the waters of the bay for this ship, but found only ducks...And more ducks...I found a new Convention Center being built...I found a tall tower... and I thought, if I went up in it, I could see the whole bay and find this missing ship...Yes, a very tall tower...But alas the tower was closed so I could not use it to find the Brig... Where else should I look? I decided to journey around the bay, and go out onto the peninsula, where I could see Lake Erie, and perhaps find my lost ship out there plying the waves, as tall ships often do...On my journey I found a clown fish, though there are many fish here...I found a big blue frog, there are many of them here as well, if you know where to look... This one's in love...I finally made it out to Presque Isle and looked back to where I had come from, thinking perhaps it had come back, but still no tall ship...I found Perry's Monument that I had seen from the other side of the bay, but his ship was still not here... I grew dejected...I peered out onto Lake Erie and my heart rose! There were many boats here, perhaps one was the one I sought...But I found only beautiful sandy beaches, and the blue water of the lake, and no tall ship...
I found many colored flags fluttering in the wind, but these were not the big white, square sails and the rigging that I was looking for...I even found seagulls flying in the breeze, but they were not really seagulls at all... But a mere illusion...

So, sadly I headed home... My grand quest a failure... and when I got home I checked the Brig's website, and found
that the Niagara was off visiting neighbors... Which had I checked before I left, I would have known she was not here, and there would have been no need to go off on this foolhardy expedition. I could have saved my self all this time and trouble...

Afterwards I realized that journeys do not always take you where you thought they would, and you do not always find what you are looking for...

Sometimes marvelous things find you instead...


"It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters in the end."

-Ursula K. LeGuin



8 comments:

BostonPobble said...

The clown fish and the purple frog make me very, very grateful you didn't check the website before heading out!

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

I love the pix; the flags in the sand are cool, and I like the fish & frog too! One of my favorite things to do is to take my camera out and see what finds me. The trek is entirely different, when you're looking around for a shot.

BostonPobble said...

I've hit you up again over at mine. Because it was so good the first time. *blush*

Tai said...

What a great picture adventure! I loved 'following' you around on your quest for that tall ship.

Dagoth said...

Thanks Guys

Pobble - The fish and the frogs are city mascots, the fish were done several years ago and the frogs about 2 years ago. There are many of them in front of various places spread throughout the city and they each have various themes & meanings. I'll have to go fishing & on a frog hunt to bring you some more....

G - On that particular beach out on our peninsula people fly many different kinds of kites, in fact that beach is pretty much just used for kite flying because of the tremendous winds that come off of the lake at that point. For some reason no one seemed to be out flying any kites that morning...

Tai - I will catch that tall ship and bring it too you at some point, perhaps on my next photographic expedition... If it's in town. For many years it was dry docked on cement pylons down by the waterfront, but a few years ago it was rebuilt in sailing condition and now spends much of the summer touring to promote our city...

kimber said...

Thank you,Dagoth, for sharing your maritime expedition -- bright, colourful, informative, blustery! I, like Pobble, am very glad you didn't check out the website, and change your plans!

Spider Girl said...

I'm glad you went anyway.

Wandering around semi-aimlessly with a camera is one of my favourite things to do by the way.

Anonymous said...

So, Sorry you missed her! To find you must go to the maritime museum,or better yet why don't you take a ride on her. You could also go to a restaurant called Rum Runners have some rum and watch her sail buy!!!!!!!!
I enjoy your journey none the less! Oh,shame on you for not taking any sunset pics!