Saturday, January 27, 2007

Here There Be Dragons


"...and from the ashes of the Old World, another breed of man will be born. A man born in peace and not in war. And to his kin, the teachings of the Order will be as myth.

The sacred pact 'twixt Dragon and Rider forgotten, dormant in time.

Yet fear not, for when the darkness is once again made flesh, The Order will ride again, delivering righteous fire from the sky..."

-From the sayings of Rimril, Fourth Archmage of the Order


Lately I gotten back into playing an old video game of mine called "Draken Order of the Flame." I'm really not a very serious gamer, since I tend to play them for awhile, and then put them down and forget about them for a year, and then start playing them again. This one I have had for quite awhile and it is definitely one of my favorites.

Most games don't really do much for me, but put me in one where you get to swing a BFS (Big Farkin Sword), Fly a Dragon
and protect a Fair Warrior Maiden, and I'm all there.

The story revolves around "Rynn" (that would be the Fair Warrior Maiden) who is traveling the land of Draken searching for her younger brother "Delon" who was carried off when a band of "Wartoks" attacked and destroyed Rynn's village. Along the way she hooks up with the ancient dragon "Arokh" and together they search the land for Delon, all the while having to fight off all kinds of creatures like Wartoks, Orcs, Giant Spiders and Scavengers. During the quest all manor of weapons, Armor, Potions, Magic Crystals and Runes are found to help them in their search.

I spent most of the day today playing, though in truth I had to start over at a previous game save because I got my dragon "stuck" in a mine and couldn't get him out. I don't know if it was a glitch or what, and at first I thought maybe he just wasn't allowed to go any further with Rynn until I played on for a while and realized he was really supposed to be with her. I had to start over again at a save that was quite far back in the game and spent most of the time just getting back to where I was. Once I got back I found the going much easier with Arokh, it really helps to have a fire breathing dragon with you when you are slaughtering bestiary. These dragons should really come with four-wheel drive for moving around on the ground and in caves and mines.

There are a lot of places in the game where Arokh cannot pass and Rynn has to go on alone until she can unlock a gate to allow him to come through. Some of the time you are flying around on Arokh's back blasting the creatures on the ground, fighting crow dragons in the sky, and dodging the shots from the cannons that the Wartoks use to try and blast you out of the sky. Other times you have to traverse underground mines and caves on foot, fighting the creatures with sword, mace and bow.

I'm not the greatest gamer in the world and I do manage to get Rynn and Arokh killed probably more often than many other gamers would but that's when the health potions and game saves come into play so I can keep on going through the game wreaking mayhem and destruction on my enemies.

I collect swords and dragons, and even have a couple dragon tattoos so this game pretty much has everything in it that I could possible want in a 3DVR game. I also like going to Medieval Faires and this game really has very medieval flair to it. You just can't beat a game where you get to fly a dragon and swing a sword, so if you will excuse me now "It's time to go hunt some Orc"...

5 comments:

BostonPobble said...

Firebreathing dragons, big swords...if you hadn't mentioned the giant spiders, I'd be all over this with you. But those giant spiders... *shudder*

One of my favorite sayings (which you have probably heard at some point) is: Do not meddle in the ways of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup. :D

Have a great day, Dagoth.

Belizegial said...

Dagoth,

If it makes you happy, then keep on playin with them dragons, spiders and such ;)

Happy Belated Birthday!!

~Enid

Tai said...

"It really helps to have a fire breathing dragon with you when you are slaughtering bestiary."
You can say THAT again!

Dagoth, I've played that game! Many moons ago, but I remember it fondly.
Have fun!

kimber said...

I can see how getting your dragon stuck in a mine would be very frustrating, similar to parking your truck in a spot that's just a wee bit too small.... requiring a 45-point turn to get out. :)

Happy pillaging and dragon-riding!

Dagoth said...

Thanks Guys

Pobble - There arn't really many spiders in the game, only a couple in the beginning. Through one section of the mines there are quite a few but they are easy to shoot with your bow and arrows...Yes I like that saying...

Enid - Yes I will, but I have to limit myself so I get my work done...Also Blogger won't let me post comments on your site, I don't know why, but I'll keep trying...

Tai - Nothing like slaughtering bestiary in the morning. I'm glad to hear someone knows what I'm talking about...

Kimber - I either need a smaller dragon or bigger caves but it sure is nice to blast critters with your dragon on the ground and not even come within reach of their weapons. Off pillaging and dragon riding I must go!...