Saturday, June 10, 2006

The Last Survivor

Last fall I moved back to the house I had lived in when I was married. I had been living in an apartment in town for about a year, which was something I wasn't used to. Apartment living, in the city, is a lot noisier than having a house in the "burbs." My profile states that I live in Erie, Pennsylvania, but I actually live in a small town outside of Erie. Saying that I live in Erie gives people that aren't familiar with this part of the country a better idea of where I live, without confusing them by saying I live in " such-n-such", small town, usa, that they never heard of before.

When I moved back in the fall I knew it would be a lot quieter here, which was one of my main reasons for accepting the house back when my ex offered it to me. I'm not the kind of person who likes living in apartments in the city. Though my apartment was a very nice one, and my landlord was an old school friend, which made it even better. I can't say as I miss the neighbor couple fighting all the time, my other neighbor taking showers at midnight (their bathroom was up against my bedroom wall), and I especially don't miss being surrounded by concrete.

I like having grass, and trees around me. I like having my back porch to sit on in the morning and watching the wildlife, but something has changed around here, from the last time I lived here, about two years ago.

If it's possible, this quiet little town I live in has even become quieter, to the point where I sometimes think I'm the only one living here. It is something I didn't really notice last fall. In this part of America it was growing cold when I moved back, and most people, at that point, were living inside their homes, and getting them "buttoned up" for winter. I probably should have noticed that there seemed to be a lot fewer people around, when at Halloween I only had 23 children show up at my door, many less than I remember from years past.

It didn't really "dawn on me" how quiet my little village had become until this spring.

It appears that many of the teenage kids that lived in my neighborhood have grown up and moved on, leaving a very noticeable silence.

There doesn't seem to be near as many cars going up and down my road as I remember. Sometimes a half-hour or more can go by without a single car passing my house.

The shop that is behind my house closed up its doors this spring, moving all their equipment out, and leaving behind an empty parking lot that used to be so full, with workers coming and going on a couple of different shifts. Though I don't miss the alarm that used to go off on the weekends when nobody was there, and would sound for hours until someone would come in to shut it off.

There is a large field next to the shop that contains five soccer fields, though the goal posts are still there, the children are gone. They used to have games there every night, and on the weekends from sunrise to sunset, now the field is empty and grown over.

My neighbors that used to be "out and about" all the time, now seem to either be living inside their homes or not home at all. I used to chat with them all the time, now I hardly ever see them. A neighbor on one side of me, that I used to see out all the time, I now only see him come out when he weed-whacks his yard, and I haven't even had the opportunity to talk to him in the eight months since I moved back. A neighbor on the other side of me has apparently been very ill, and I don't get to talk to him near as often as I used to. He says "They are going to start wintering in Florida from now on since he took ill and can't take the cold anymore."

I was looking forward to more quiet, but this noticeable silence is something I wasn't ready for. Has my little village becoming a ghost town? Sometimes it stays so quiet here, for such long periods of time that I could almost imagine that I live in a post-holocaust period when some plague has killed everyone off, and I'm the last survivor.

12 comments:

Hope said...

I was thinking something along the lines of your closing line....the story was giving me that kind of creepy, twilight zone, outer limits kind of feel.

Dagoth said...

Thanks Hope

Yes it's very surreal around here anymore. I look out the windows on a beautiful, sunny saturday afternoon and there is not a single soul around. This place was never like that before. The Outer Limits or the Twilight Zone would be a very good way to describe it. Maybe I should stay up until midnight to see if my neighbors come walking out of their houses like zombies...Maybe I should call Mulder & Skully...

Belizegial said...

Being from outside the US and currently w/out cable, I get to watch only free documentaries and 60 Minute programs being offered on our local tv channels.

One such documentary dealt with the dying urban towns. traditional factory towns built around a specific industry. when the factory closes, everyone moves on to look for other economic opportunities including the youths. I don't know if that is the case with your area.

i live on a street where the cars never stop flying by so i kinda envy you the peace and quiet you are enjoying, lol.

Tai said...

It's an eerie (pun intended!) feeling that...the small town I grew up in often left me with feeling as if I was the only one left.

Hope said...

Love the new description for your blog! I wish I had thought of that!

Dagoth said...

Thanks Guys

Enid - Thanks for stopping by. We have many small industries in my town, so loosing one won't kill the town, but we have lost two of our larger ones.

Tai - Nice Pun. Some of the locals here call it "drearie erie the mistake on the lake" because it rains and snows so much here, though I understand Van Couver knows a little about rain.

Hope - Technically you did think of that. I don't know if it's a permanent description, I'm toying with the idea of changing it once in a while. Besides, of all the descriptions I've seen, yours is one of my favorites. I'm glad to know you "will always be between me and danger"...:)

Hope said...

Yes, but why couldn't I have thought about it for me! I keep meaning to change mine and to do so every so often, but I never seem to get around to doing it!

Dagoth said...

Hi Hope

If you want it, it's yours, I can always (and will soon anyways) put up another one (it's not like I have the rights to it anyways...:)

kimber said...

Hi Dagoth...

Funny, but your post is on the same topic as a thought I've been having all day. I'm moving to a small small small town at the end of the month (in fact, the same one that Tai's talking about) and I was wondering if I've become too urbanized. I'm seeking peace and quiet, but will I find it TOO quiet? There's a fine line between solitude and loneliness, and I'm afraid that I've become too accustomed to late night sushi, vibrant shopping districts and constant traffic.

I hope your return to your old neighbourhood, when everyone else seems to be leaving, has injected a bit of vibrancy into it.

The Snarkess said...

I feel a little the same way when I travel to small towns for any length of time. At first, I'm just blissfully aware of the quiet. I can hear crickets, and birds, and the almost silent hum of the outdoors in summer. And I love it.

And then, little by little, I start to miss the city. It's weird, but I feel so reassured when I got to bed at night knowing that there are people bustling about all around me. I'm never alone. Although I know what you mean about not missing the car alarms. I could do without the drunken teenagers and the belligerant panhandlers and the traffic and the crime. And the rain :)

But I love people-watching down at the beach, or in the artsy district near where I live. And I'd really miss the old lady who walks up and down the street near my place with her pet duck, which she dresses up in a little bonnet and pushes around in a grocery cart. Or the guy I passed the other day who was wearing a business suit and a viking helmet, complete with horns, casually walking (I assume) to work. Or Naked Scooter Guy, who occasionally tours around on his scooter, wearing a yellow speedo and a yellow feather boa, and nothing else.

Boy, there's just nothing like the city sometimes.

Nice post, Dagoth. Eerie in Erie.

Tenacious T said...

I'm sorry your piece of the world has become a little more quiet than you like. I do like living where there is space and green and animals. It's great. It seems things around there have changed a bit. But that's the good thing about change - it's always happening. Hopefully you'll have a little more "noise" back eventually.

Dagoth said...

Thanks Guys

Kimber - I think little Zoe has plans for any piece and quiet you may be thinking your going to get. Those places that you are used to will become special trips into town that will make them even better.

Claire - We have the neighbor up the street who has the belligerent geese that come out to the road and attack your car as you drive by.

T - Don't get me wrong, I like my piece and quiet and animals (I was raised on a farm), its just strange how much it changed here so quickly. In a small town things tend to change very slowly. There is nothing better than getting up early in the morning and surprizing the deer that are romping through my backyard...:)