Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Celebrations of Life...

Hey You...

I want to thank everyone for their heartfelt sentiments and support for my last post, and to let everyone know that I'm doing ok. I really dreaded that day coming again this year, as last year was so very, very bad. This year I did handle it better, having learned to distract myself and "stay out of my own head", which seems to be the best way for me to "keep my balance" these days. I did take flowers (carnations, her favorite) and place them at the cross, out at the crash site on Sunday, but I didn't stay long, as that place is still very hard for me to cope with. I know she understands. Time seems to be "doing its thing" for me, even though I still think this has been going on for far too long. I don't know if I'll ever be totally over it...

I want to wish everyone a very happy "Turkey Day." Even though Halloween is my favorite holiday, Thanksgiving comes in a close second. You have to admit if there were a holiday made just for guys, Thanksgiving would be it. First you stuff yourself with massive quantities of food, then you snooze on the couch, drinking beers (not me though) and watching football games (of which they've added a third one this year). What could be more in tune with any mans expectations of a perfect day. I believe they added "Black Friday" just to make it up to the womenfolk for all the work they do on Thanksgiving while the men are absorbed with their debaucheries. I went to the store on Saturday and picked out my bird and all the trimmings to go along with it. I only got a small 13.5-pound turkey as I am cooking this massive feast just for me. I was looking for garlic oil to baste the bird in, but the only thing I found was garlic and basil oil, and since I'm not a huge fan of basil, I blew it off. This idea of using garlic oil was something my best friend "Jul" suggested and it sounded pretty good, but since I live in a small town and our grocery store has somewhat limited selections, it was not to be. I guess I'll go back to my tried and true methods for my turkey and look elsewhere for the garlic oil for next year. I also picked up Sweet potatoes, green beans (for the casserole) and a pumpkin pie. The only thing I forgot was the bread for left over turkey sandwiches, which is the real reason for cooking all this food in the first place...

I'm going out to see my son tomorrow, as it is his 17th birthday. My ex, "T1", has invited me over for dinner like she did last year. She has a funny way of inviting you for dinner. When I talked to her on the phone she said, "are you coming over for dinner", to which I said, "Yes, cook for me woman!" It wasn't like I was going to just invite myself over for dinner. It appears that my son is all grown up now, this year for his birthday all he wants is "cash". I think the first time they ask for that you know they have changed...

9 comments:

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Glad you're hanging in there, Dagoth. Hugs.

I'd think you'd still have time (if you read this right NOW) to infuse your own oil with garlic. Pop a couple bulbs in along with some rosemary or other herbs, if you like, then cork it for a few days. Usually takes a few weeks, but less oil, more garlic might do the trick.

Run now, and get started on that!

Good news here, my son is going to make it home after all. I went from moping to rejoicing in the space of a phone call telling me so. Yay!

Lynda said...

I am sure she will understand. I don't know the exact date, but there is a candle lighting day for children lost. I don't know the whole story of your loss, but even though I haven't lost a child, I am going to light the candle for my sister, because she loved children. I will try to remember to put the info in your comments, in case you are interested.

Dagoth said...

Thanks Guys

Gnightgirl - I had the very same idea only using minced garlic & garlic powder...I'm very glad to hear your son will make it home for the holidays!...

Lynda - This may explain it better:
http://dagothsdomain.blogspot.com/
2006/05/happy-birthday-girls.html

kimber said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you, Dagoth! While this is not my nation's holiday weekend, I'll eat a feast for you! :)

Spider Girl said...

Hi Dagoth,
Thanks for your last comment on my blog--it made me grin. :)

And Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Tai said...

Have a lovely, decadent Thanksgiving!

Dagoth said...

Thanks Guys

Kimber - Gluttony knows no borders...:)

Spider - glad to give a grin...

Tai - Right up until the tryptophan takes its toll...

Lynda said...

Here is the information that my dad posted on Laurianne's Hope:

Sunday December 10 - 7:00PM
Light a Candle Day.

This is put on every year by The Compassionate Friends. This is worldwide, at 7PM in your time zone light your candle for 1 hour. It's in memory of all children who have died, at any age and from any cause. It's a 24 hour sweep of the world .I know it is a busy time for everybody but I'am hope you're able to join us.


I am going to look at that link now. And probably cry at work again. :)

Dagoth said...

Thanks Lynda

Fortunately my girlfriend had just dropped her 9 year old son off at her parents before the car accident. The other car would have hit right where he would have been sitting...