Sunday, November 26, 2006

Leftovers


Well Turkey Day has come and gone and now the only thing left to do is eat the leftovers.

As it turns out, I didn't have my T-day feast all to myself, as I stated in my last post. All last week a fellow that I work with kept claiming that "he and his wife would be over Thanksgiving day to share in my feast", I thought he was just joking. So wasn't I surprised when there was a knock at my back door, Thursday, just as I sat down with my first plate. I had jokingly told him "the turkey would be done around 1:00 and the could show up any time around there." I really never thought they would actually show up though.

He and I have worked together a long time and are always joking around, so I really never took him seriously. Fortunately I made enough food to feed an army so there wasn't any problem there, and all the food turned out good, in my opinion, so all went well. He said that "since I had ran a restaurant before, I had better be able to cook" and though this is a little different than cooking bar food, it's well within my capabilities. I grew up on a farm, with a mother who worked full time, so I learned early on the art of cooking, which has always been something I have really enjoyed. I can remember my brother and I going out and collecting blackberries and creating blackberry pies with them, or going fishing in the morning and returning to cook them up for our lunch. Often making breakfast meant going out and collecting the eggs from the chickens first, so I learned my way around a kitchen at a very young age. Unfortunately many men never learn how to cook, and my friend is no exception, claiming that "he would starve if not for his wife feeding him", of which I have no doubt.

It was very nice to have some company for dinner for a change, and of course not wanting to come empty handed they brought me a Pomegranate. Now this may seem like a strange thing to bring, but during our many conversations I believe that I mentioned that I had never tried one before, so now I guess I am going to have to try this thing before I go back to work because I'm sure he will ask how I liked it.

So if you ask me what I'm thankful for on this holiday weekend, it would have to be "friends that don't let you eat alone." Though had I really believed that they were coming I would have made more biscuits and started the pumpkin pie sooner...

12 comments:

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

What a great story, Dagoth. It will be a Thanksgiving you'll remember forever. Your feast looks amazing; if I'd planned on cooking alone...probably would have ended up a carton of chinese takeout, even though I love to cook too. Kudos to you for cooking.

Cooking with friends is one of my favorite things to do, and most of my male friends have plenty to bring to the kitchen, which is cool.

Spider Girl said...

Good meals really do taste better in company, don't they. It sounds like you're a good cook!

I wish I was more confident in the kitchen myself. There's about three or four dishes I can do, but I'd get pretty tired of just my own cooking, that's for sure. :)

By the way, the sole fruit in my fruit-bowl is at this moment a pomegranate. Yum! But don't get the juice on anything...for instance, don't let your friend eat one in the car like I did.

kimber said...

So happy to hear that you had a warm & cozy, friend-filled Thankgiving day feast! And, in my humble opinion, you can never have too much pumpkin pie on hand! :)

Lynda said...

At least you cooked! I took my husband to Cracker Barrel. hahaha!

I am glad you had such a nice day!

LunaChick said...

That looks like a very delish spread you put out! Honestly, I was thinking of you all day on Thanksgiving while I was at work. The thought of anyone being alone on a Holiday is very un-settling.
I am glad your pal and his beloved showed up. I hope you didn't have any underwear or other unmentionables laying around...lol!

I love Pomegranates. As a matter of fact I just bought a few of them yesterday. I think it's fun to pick the seeds out of their neatly packed nest...hahaaa..yea...Imma dork :)

Dagoth said...

Thanks Guys

Gnightgirl - It's all about the leftover turkey sandwichs...I'm glad your guys "hold up the side", there's nothing worse than a guy that can't feed himself...

Spider - now that your getting that wonderful new kitchen you might want to plan some extravagent meals...tried the pomegranate... ever eat a crab apple?

Kimber - or ever have too much cool whip topping for said pumpkin pie...

Lynda - I was never a big fan of eating out unless it's someplace special, I'd rather cook...

Spidey - My house isn't spotless, but it's not your average guy's bachelor pad pigpen either, lets say I like things organized. No underwear lying about...

Josh said...

Glad to hear you had a nice Thanksgiving. You story about the berries reminds me of my childhood. Sadly I nver picked up the cooking part though.

And from you rother post, Black Friday is not just for the ladies. I saw just as many guys out there snatching things at Ciruit City ;)

Tenacious T said...

I'm glad you had good friends to share the day with. :)

BostonPobble said...

Sounds like a truly lovely holiday, my friend. Glad you enjoyed it and your friends.

Belizegial said...

Hey Dagoth,

I like your new and updated blog image. It's somehow Christmasy especially with the mouth-watering feast you have spread before our eyes.

If only we could have helped you enjoy some of that lovely food =)
Have a great day today and have you started on your christmas preparations yet? It is the 1st of December today, y'know?

Tata for now,
Enid~

p.s. I am having problems leaving a comment. Don't know if it is because I am still in pre beta blogger mode.

Dagoth said...

Thanks guys

Liz - If you can't cook how do you feed yourself?...I don't mind shopping, just don't care for the crowds and lines...

T - It sure was a nice surprise and good company...

Hope - Can't say as I much care for them, they taste just like crab apples but are much harder to eat...

Pobble - Thanks and I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving as well..

Enid - No, I'm very last minute when it comes to Christmas...Maybe it's time to upgrade your blog...

Anonymous said...

Good post. I learn something totally new and challenging on blogs I stumbleupon every day.
It's always useful to read through articles from other authors and practice a little something from other web sites.


my page; unique wedding rings