Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Household Pictorial Challenge

This post was inspired by Gnightgirl's Household Pictorial Challenge wherein she asked that we would find a few items around our house that have special meaning to us and post pictures and talk about them...ya know, kinda like "show-n-tell" in school, the only subject I got straight A's in...yea yea, right...so here goes...

First of all we have the "Dragon Banner" I have had this banner for quite a few years now and I always say "Wherever this banner flies, that is my home". It has flown in more places in the last few years than I expected and whenever I move into a new place one of the first things I do is hang this banner...


This small pouch that I acquired down in Mexico contains some items that are very special to me, it has; 2 small stones, one from the ruins at Chichen Itza and one from the walled city of Talum (stones NOT from the ruins themselves), it has my two wedding rings from both my marriages (ok kinda strange), and most important the Lothlorian Broach from the Lord of the Rings that is pinned on the outside of the pouch that my girlfriend "J" gave me for my Halloween costume when I went as Legolas...


These are just a few of the dragons that I collect. I haven't quite found homes for them yet, but I will as soon as I build some of the shelves I have planned for my house...


This is my favorite chess set that we got at the flea market in Cancun. It features the Spanish Conquistadors versus the Aztecs and is really a lovely piece. It only has one problem; it's never been played on. There is something a little sad about a chess set that has never been played before but I hope to change that soon...behind it you can see my Samurai Swords which are also one of my favorite things...


This Oriental Lantern is a strange object that I have had since I was about 7 years old. I found it at an old junkyard where my friends and I would go to scavenge "good junk" when we were kids. It's an item that seems bound and determined to travel with me on my entire journey through life...


And finally this Oriental Fan that doesn't really fit into the rules of the Household Pictorial Challenge, because I just received it today. At work we have an Engineer visiting from one of our sister companies in China and he gave out presents to people in our department who have been helping train him. It's just very lovely so I thought I would include it. Now I just have to find a good place to hang it...

7 comments:

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Oh boy! I suppose I should hold off and let someone else post first, but I'm so excited that you played along!

Gorgeous stuff, and I'm thrilled to know the background/sentiment. I've linked to you, spread the word.

Very nice, to get to know you better through these material items. Thanks for playing.

BostonPobble said...

Love the Dragons, Dagoth.

Dagoth said...

Thanks Guys

Gnightgirl - if you can't post first on this then who can...there may be more of these because there's always more stuff that has meaning that can be shown...

Pobble - yeah, there's more dragons where those came from as well...and they all have stories...

Josh said...

I have a similar banner somewhere at my parents. I also have the big brown at their place.

Dagoth said...

Liz - The big brown?

Anonymous said...

That Chinese palace lantern looks like the best Chinese restaurants have (you know, the awesome cool retro ones from mid-century?). It's amazing you found it in a junkyard! And that your friends didn't fight you for it. It's so cool! I bet it is a definite conversation starter in your house. Reminds me of Wilson Wilson from "Home Improvement" (you know, that guy who was like a living, breathing complete-set-of-National-Geographic-magazines and always said wise things that Tim needed to hear?).

Ranyoi Rassmar said...

Egads... I made a typo. I meant to say: "That Chinese palace lantern looks like the LIGHTS THAT ALL THE best Chinese restaurants have (you know, the awesome cool retro ones from mid-century?."