Sunday, May 07, 2006

Know Your Enemy!

Know Your Enemy!

Inspired by the beautiful pictures that Spider Girl posts of her garden, I decided that this weekend would be the weekend that I would attack the flowerbeds. I know from her blog that Spider and Tai weeded "spiders" garden a few weeks ago, but living close to Lake Erie causes our spring to come a little later.

All I have to say after three hours and three large trashcan loads of "weed debris" is HELP! Spider do you think that you and Tai could fly to Pennsylvania to help me fight this monster? It's not just that there are a lot of weeds but that there is also dead underbrush left over from last year. No one lived in this house last year so the flowerbeds went to hell. I'm seriously thinking about a bulldozer to plow the whole lot under. When I decided to attack the flowerbeds I didn't expect them to
fight back, especially with such fierce resistance. My knees are throbbing, my back is aching, and my hands have swollen to the point where it's hard to grab a hold of the little invaders (I know, "would you like some cheese with that whine?")

I'm starting to think "chemical warfare" may be called for at this point. Is that against the Geneva Convention? The reason I chose not to use chemicals is all the beautiful little Maple Trees that are growing in my flowerbeds. Most of these seem to have come from the house across the street that has seven huge Silver Maples, but I have found one little Crimson Maple in amongst the rest that must have come from the neighbors yard three houses down the street. I would like to transplant them out into the yard when they get a little bigger. I don't think that weed killer would harm them, but they are so small yet I don't want to take any chances. My neighbor, next door, who does not have a single tree in his yard, is going to go nuts when I start to transform my yard into a forest. I hope to get many trees put in this year.

Well "Time is a Wasting" and I hope to get some more weeding done this afternoon, but there is still laundry to do, and I do have to go grocery shopping. Oh Well! I guess more weeding will have to wait...:) I've found that if I'm not as meticulous about getting every single little weed pulled, and mostly go after "The Big Guns" (the dandelions) I get a lot farther, and it generally looks a lot better. John Goodman on "The Roseanne Show" once said, in regards to cleaning the house, "Remember we're not looking for actual clean, but the mere illusion of clean" (a motto I've always tried to live by), I think I'll try to have my flowerbeds give the illusion of weeded.

2 comments:

Tai said...

Tell you what...I'll send Spider over immediately!
You'll be fine, it just takes some time!

Josh said...

I wish I had that ambition. There is a silver maple in my front yard that is just awful. I'm affarid in 5 years it is going to tear up the sidewalk.