Tuesday, May 16, 2006

When would you want to live?

If you could live at any time, in the past, or in the future, when would it be and why?

For me at least there are two answers to this, and they are both extremes.

My first answer would be "I would like to have lived about 35,000 years ago". I would have loved to be a hunter-gatherer, to be able to travel through a sparsely populated land carrying with me all that I owned. Wrapped in pelts, mukluks on my feet, a stone tipped spear in my right hand and all my stone tools, stone axe, fire starting kit, and leftovers from last nights dinner wrapped in leaves, in a fur satchel slung ov
er my left shoulder. To be able to travel the wilderness afoot, through the primeval forest, not knowing what I would see, or whom I would meet, over the next rise. Meeting unusual tribes of people as I went, and learning their customs. This would be my ideal life. I am a fan of the "Earths Children" series of books written by Jean M. Auel. Many people know the first book "The Clan of the Cave Bear" because of the movie by the same title staring Daryl Hannah. For me the best book in the series was the second one "the Valley of Horses". In that book, 'Ayla', the 'cave girl' main character, had been cast out of her clan, and was living by herself, in her own valley. It also had a running side story of 'Jondalar', who was to become Ayla's mate, taking a ritual journey throughout ancient Europe, and how they would eventually meet. This kind of lifestyle has always been very appealing to me.

My second answer would be completely opposite. I would like t
o live about 500 hundred years in the future. I could imagine myself having a small interstellar scout vessel, traveling the stars beyond the mapped, 'civilized' regions of space our people will (hopefully) be living in then. To go and visit new worlds, once again, not knowing what I would see, or whom I would meet, over the next rise (ok, so there's no "rise" in space, just work with me alright!). Finding new civilizations, and meeting new intelligent species all along the way.

Both of these answers, for me, have one thing in common and that is 'New Frontiers'. We are living in a time that is quite possible the worst for me. All the land has been explored, very large areas of wilderness are becoming fewer and far between, the only frontiers left on Earth are the oceans, which at our present technology are difficult and expensive at best to live in, and we are just beginning to explore space. I think there are many people out there who yearn for a new frontier, pristine, and untouched by man, for them, and for myself, those are definitely better times to be alive.

9 comments:

Patrick Davis said...

According to my best beliefs there was no 35,000 years ago. Did you know that mathmaticians of the world flatly declared evolution to be impossible (on a mathmatical basis) in the 1960s? What you said is a non-sequitor because of my beliefs. Did you ever ask yourself why history does not have 100 Aristotles? Do the math. Evolutionists today say that "Modern" man has existed for 1 billion years. It seems to me to be extremely improbable, which was the point of mathmaticians in the 60s.
Not trying to destroy your worldview- just trying to elict intelligent discussion.
Thanks,
Pat

Dagoth said...

Mr. d

This site is neither dedicated to, nor interested in, being a forum for the discussion of religious or political beliefs.

If you are having problems finding such sites, try the next button or the search engine at http://www.blogger.com/ "God knows (excuse the pun) there are plenty of them out their."

Tai said...

Dagoth, I LOVE living right now, but I think that renaissance-period Italy might have been fun. As long as I was VERY wealthy!

(I like those books, too...but I wouldn't want to live then.)

Hope said...

Live? I think I'd like to be more of a visitor. Maybe steal the TARDIS from Dr. Who and take a little joy ride around time and the universe? I find that when I wax poetic about times in the past (specifically those pre-indoor plumbing and hot and cold running water), my enthusiam quickly dies. I guess I just don't have those survivalist instincts like you do! But there are so many different times and places that I think would be fascinating to visit, to watch history unfold. Or to jettison into the future and see what might be (and hoping that we hadn't destroyed ourselves).

kimber said...

If I could bring along a few modern conveniences (like toilet paper and hiking boots), then I'd love a vacation in the Middle Paleolithic! With a detour into medieval France!

Dagoth said...

I have to agree with Tai, Anytime would work for me as long as I was 'VERY wealthy'...:)

I thank all of you that managed to stay "On Subject". For those of you that could not, It is not 'non-sequitor', nor is it 'non-sequiter', but it is in fact 'non-sequitur', according to www.m-w.com though micheal you did have the proper usage.

Josh said...

Geeze I have NO idea. I know it would not be your first choice though. Yikes for a woman.

Really how women are treated would have the most to do with what I chose. Some times would be neat, but I wouldn't want to be property or anything. Maybe in the future when we get rid of you guys. haha :P

Dagoth said...

Thanks Liz

Maybe in the future when we get rid of you guys. haha :P

As we speak my evil minions are thwarting your plans to reproduce without us! The only real use women have left for keeping men around (we've already suppressed the invention of the car that can parallel park itself)...:)

Anonymous said...

I'd probably just want to live now...forever.