Monday, December 25, 2006

Christmas Festivities and Such...

Thursday I was invited to my best friend "Jul's" house for their family Christmas dinner get-together. It was very nice of them to include me in with their family. They had an unusual Christmas Eve afternoon dinner and present opening. Since both her and her husband's children (from previous marriages) are pretty much grown up, with some moved out, they had many family dinners to contend with, which prompted the afternoon dinner. I've known "Jul" since we were 15, and to tell you the truth, cooking has never been one of her strong points (she'll admit that). Still she put on a pretty good spread with a nice holiday ham, though I did have to give her a hard time, telling her "I half expected fish sticks". I love her dearly.

I went and had Christmas dinner today at my first ex-wife's house with my son, and it was very nice. It's really a good thing that her and I can manage to get along so well, even after the divorce.

I think she liked the gift I bought her because she laughed when she opened it. I always bought her traditional gifts every year, along with the other stuff I bought for her, and every year she would get a large sampler pack of a particular brand of candy. I ran across it when I was out shopping and wondered if she would remember. I told her before she opened it "she would probably recognize it". I think she liked it.

My son did insist on picking me up off of the ground again, though I was a little worried that he would hurt his back, he did manage get me up in the air a little bit. This is no easy task as I am around... ahem... 220 pounds or so (it's been awhile since I weighed myself, ok)... He has his learners permit now and I got to ride with him to the store for the first time. We went in his mother's standard, and though it got a little "wonky" going around one corner shifting into second, he still did a very fine job. It amazes me how fast he's grown up and turned into a fine young man.

Yes, all in all, a very nice Christmas indeed...

***********************************************************

And yet another stolen meme, this time from Kimber's Blog...I'm feeling more and more like "the Grinch" all the time...hehehe...

1. Hot Chocolate or Egg Nog?
Egg Nog, Egg Nog, and more Egg Nog.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Always Wrapped.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? Colored Lights.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? Nope.

5. When do you put your decorations up? Usually Thanksgiving weekend.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish? The Green bean Mushroom Soup Casserole with the onion thingy's (that's what they call it right?)

7. Favorite Holiday memory? One year (as a teenager) I opened the door to my bedroom in the morning and my mother had "saran wrapped" me into my room. The next year she used wrapping paper that had a brick pattern on it to "brick" me into my room. Of course at that age I didn't really care much about Christmas, preferring to sleep in until noon instead, but she got a kick out of it.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? To tell you the truth, I can't really remember, but then again that was some time ago.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Most years' one gift was allowed.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? I always liked the hodge-podge look with all different kinds of decorations.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? I wouldn't say I love it, but some for Christmas would be nice.

12. Can you ice skate? Oh yes, I used to love playing hockey on the local ponds, but I couldn't play defenseman because I could never manage to learn to skate backwards.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? Probably the Bowie Knife my father got for me.

14. What's the most important thing?
Family.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Pumpkin Pie with lots of cool whip.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Our non-traditional, traditional Christmas dinner...Steak and Shrimp.

17. What tops your tree? A star that belonged to my father.

18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving? Ok, I'll admit it, I love opening presents.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? "We Three Kings", I always enjoyed hitting the bass notes on that one.

20. Candy canes, Yuck or Yum? Yuck, I've never been much of a candy person.

7 comments:

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Christmas fish sticks! Ha! Sounds like you have a fantastic friendship with Juls; gotta love those lifelong friendships that you can always count on. Cool that you get on with your ex so well; I'm sure your son appreciates that.

kimber said...

I like the title of your favorite dish! So descriptive! :)

Tai said...

Cheers Dagoth, glad you had a nice holiday.

Belizegial said...

Happy New Year Dagoth~

Have yourself a splendid time on this New Year's Eve doing whatever pleases you the most. May all your dreams come true in 2007 and all the best in health, wealth and success in whatever you do!

Enid
xo

Dagoth said...

Thanks Guys

G - Jul has always been there for me, as I for her...even if divorce is necessary, the children always have to be put first...

Kimber - does it have a name?

Tai - and cheers to you as well.

Enid - I hope you have had a wonderful New Years as well...

Lynda said...

Fishsticks and a pick me up? Sounds like you had a great day!

Dagoth said...

Thanks Lynda

It was a nice Christmas but the boy is going to have to hit the weights again if he plans on picking me up any more...