Sunday, July 02, 2006

Goings On...

There were a lot of things I wanted to get done this weekend but the weather really isn't cooperating. The humidity here is unbearable today and the forecast is calling for thunderstorms, so I don't think I'm going to get a whole lot done. I did manage to get the lawn mowed yesterday, knowing that it was supposed to storm today and also got the oil changed on the "old karaoke battle wagon", which was overdue. This morning started out beautiful, it was overcast, which kept the temperature down, but then the sun came out and it started to get miserable. Now it's clouded over again and the wind has picked up, which is helping it somewhat, I hope the storms move in soon to cool it down. I notice the hotter that it gets the more of my clothes come off.

I do have laundry to get done, so that will be the major chore for the day. I have extra laundry to do this weekend because I didn't do any last weekend. It's really a good chore to do on a day like today because I get to spend time in the basement which is much cooler than upstairs. I went down in the basement and got it started this morning and ran into many spider webs, which I cannot stand. Today would be a good day to do some extra cleaning down there. Running into a spider web is something that annoys me to no end. I try to let the ones go that are on my back porch because they keep the bugs down, but I really can't tolerate them inside my house.

I picked up the ingredients to make Hopes Mexican casserole yesterday. I was going to make it last night but it was just too hot to think about turning on the oven. If it cools down out there, and it does seem to be getting better, I will try to make it tonight. I was able to get all the ingredients for it except for the Cheesy Nacho Hamburger Helper, which is the main ingredient. Apparently my grocery store doesn't carry that particular type, so I have substituted Cheesy Enchilada Hamburger Helper instead. I think it will work just as well, though it won't be exactly the same. Come to think of it I didn't eat dinner at all last night, I seem to loose my appetite when the weather gets hot.


Next weekend is the beginning of the Great Lakes Medieval Faire that I have been going to for the last couple years. Last year I took my son "Z" and he really seemed to enjoy it. I have to get a hold of him and see if he wants to go again this year. A couple of weeks ago he broke a bone in his ankle while playing basketball and has to wear an air cast. I hope it's well enough for him to do all the walking around that is required. One of the nice things about the Medieval Faire in Geneva, Ohio is that it is all set up in the woods, which makes it much nicer to be able to walk around in the shade. The bad thing about this is you have to watch out for the roots of the trees that are sticking up, so you don't trip. With Z'z broken ankle this might not be a good thing, though I understand he has been taking the air cast off, so it's not a break that incapacitates him. Last year he mentioned that he was interested in getting a Kilt in the family plaid so I think this year we will try to find it for him.

9 comments:

Spider Walk said...

The weather has been gooey and moist here too. I love summer, but when it's so humid and sticky outside I find myself wishing for Fall.

The festival sounds like a lot of fun! Do you already have a family kilt?
Pictures please...lol

Hope said...

One--I hate spiderwebs and the spiders that go in them! Two--I feel you about the heat and the humidity. Nothing like taking a shower, going outside and immediately feeling the need to take another shower. Three--let me know how it goes with the substitution. Another of my friends used a sub that was mexicany in nature and it still turned out fine!

Josh said...

Humidity is the worst. Hope you get some of those chores knocked out. Putting the clothes away is the part I dread. No wire hangers. LOL

Medieval wheelchair??

Dagoth said...

Thanks Guys

Spidey - No Kilt for me, I'm more of the Swashbuckling Type...I will post pictures after we go...

Hope - The enchilada type that I used is mostly rice where the other ones are mostly noodels which made it kind of thick, It was still really good though so next time I'm going to try one of the other ones...

Liz - It cooled down after the rain and I was able to get my chores done, though not the outside ones cuz everything was soaked...Medieval wheelchair complete with Armor and Lance? Hmmmm...

Spider Girl said...

Hurray for cool basements. Like you, I find I'm spending more time in the subterranean parts of my house in this hot weather.

By the way, don't feel bad about not liking the kind of spider webs you walk into. Even I, fond of the little creatures as I am, don't particularly like a face full of web. But the spider probably dislikes it even more.

I've been out in the garden tonight (its cooler now) and I know I had at least two little spiders running around on me because I broke their webs with my hat. :)

Belizegial said...

Dagoth, welcome to my world. In belize, the weather is always hot, humid and sticky except for a few weeks of grace at the ending and beginning of each year. On the other end of the spectrum, when the heat dies down, we are deluged with rainfall~lol~
Hope your 4th went well today.
Enid

Dagoth said...

Thanks Guys

Spider - Your friends do seem to love puting their webs right across the doorways. I think the worst time is when I come stumbling down the steps in the morning half asleep just to walk right into a web they have built in my hall overnight.

Enid - I've never been to Belize but I have been as far south along the coast as the ruins at Tulum, in July. I found out why they call it a rain forest.

BostonPobble said...

Icky weather in NY over the weekend too (that's where I was) but not too bad once I got back to MA. still, grateful for a.c.

Do write more about the Medieval Faire. I won't get to one this year so I'll have to live vicariously through you. :)

And "Road Trip" is definitely the fourth greatest sound!

Glad you've started stopping by.

Dagoth said...

Thanks Pobble

I'll take my digital with me and share some pics...