Sunday, July 30, 2006

Medieval Faire 2006



"Take what ya Can!...Give Nothing Back!"...

Well we finally made
it to the Medieval Faire yesterday and I have to say that that was the hottest, muggiest, most uncomfortable Faire I have ever been to. Usually this faire is pretty nice as far as that goes, because it is in a woods, but it had rained all week and though it was sunny on Saturday, the entire place had been turned into a mud bog swamp. I think they would have to come up with a new scale to describe the kind of humidity that pervaded the entire area. Though everyone I talked to said "it was better than the previous Saturday when it poured down rain for most of the day", I think I would have rather had the rain. Wearing heavy layers of medieval clothing certainly didn't help it any.

It was a good Faire though, with seemingly many more people attending than any other Faire I had gone to before. We figured that many of the people that were there had planned on going last weekend when the rains came and probably came this weekend instead, effectively doubling the crowd.

My son "Z" and I didn't sit t
hrough as many of the shows as we had at previous Medieval Faires, opting instead to stay in the shade, because most of the seating is out in the sun. There are many different pathways that snake through the woods at this place, and it's sad when you choose which ones to take by how well they are shaded by the trees.

We watched the "Joust" from the side that
is lined by trees, though you have to stand, we figured it would be better than the side with all the benches that are out in the direct sunlight. We also watched the "Human Chess Tournament" from a position fairly far away, once again, standing in the shade of the trees. The Chess Tournament's seating area does have a suspended canopy, but by the time we got there all the benches under the canopy were taken. The Tournament this year was Robin Hoods Merry Men versus the Sheriff of Nottingham's Men.

I really wish they could hold this event in the fal
l when it is much cooler, but you take what you can get. They surely sold a lot of beer, wine and lemonade yesterday, but it seemed I couldn't down lemonades as fast I sweated them out. Later on in the evening as the sun was lower in the sky we watched the "Falcon" show and it was actually reasonably comfortable, making us wish we hadn't gone quite so early.

I promised pictures and these are about as good as my old 2.1 mega pixel digital camera can do. I could have set the quality higher but I don't have a very large flashcard, and wouldn't have been able to take very many pictures. I really need to get a better camera. I also promised pictures of myself, and I wouldn't want to go back on my word...."Pirate!"...."Drink up me hearty's, Yo Ho!"...

(Yarg! If ye want me "Dead Man's Chest" you'll be diggin for it, but don't say I didn't warn ye!)...

(And yes, I was soaked to the bone, as I said it was really, really hot, and today I'm doing laundy to wash all the white salt marks out of my medieval garb.)...

17 comments:

kimber said...

That looks like such a great time! If I can't find one to attend close by, I may just make a trip eastwards to catch it next year!

Hope said...

Those boots look more Puss 'n Boots than Shrek! I'm with you....I'd rather be standing in the shade than sitting out in the sun.

BostonPobble said...

Air conditioning ~ another reason I'm grateful to live in the 21st century! Glad you got there and glad you had a good time, in spite of the heat.

Tai said...

YARRR!!!

Ye scurvey dog...*hack hack*

Glad you did get to see some it...despite the humidity!

You're a VERY colorful pirate, I'll give you your PIRATE name, wear it proudly..."Dagoth the Multi-hued, Terror of the Sea!!"

Dagoth said...

Thanks Guys

Kimber - I would think they would have one near you, after all we're everywhere...

Hope - Those boots rule! Thay did not leak a bit whilst tromping threw the bog, and I can pull them up to my hip if it gets deep...:)

Pobble - The air isn't working in my van so we drove home, very fast, with the windows rolled all the way down to cool off...

Tai - You see I didn't actually pick out those clothes. I was at the Faire with five Maidens and they did the actual choosing. In fact between them and the clothier (F) I was pretty much told to "Shut up and put them on" and "Dagoth the Multi-Hued, Terror of the Sea" knows when he's outgunned and should keep his mouth shut...:)

My word verification is "YUINDAT" to which I say "Yes I was In Dat"...

Spider Walk said...

It looks like a great time even if the atmosphere was a bit moist and heavy with perspiring Pirates.

I have always been curious about Medieval Faires-- would really love to check one outtoo, but feel I am far too ignorant of the genre to do so. Does everyone dress up? Could I get in wearing shorts and a tank top??
Suppose not eh?

And one more question..
Why do they hold these types of things in the hottest months?
They do the same thing with the Civil War re-inactments in my part of the enchanted world. It's always smarmy hot, and I have heard stories of the guys actually passing out on the field from heat stroke.
At any rate I must admit you looked wonderful. Even if we only got a glimpse of your boots and pretty pink feather ;)

Josh said...

I love renaissance festivals. I missed out big one this year. It is in May and tends to be a scorcher. That is awesome that you dress up. Looks lik Spider talked you in to the feet pic. Watch out, after she talked me into it I ended up with some internet foot fetish guy lurking around. The again it might just be her in disguise. HAha

Dagoth said...

All

If ye want me "Dead Man's Chest" you'll be diggin for it, but don't say I didn't warn ye!

Sorry If I was a bit too cryptic with this...it means there are more pictures "here"...if ye know where to look...

Tai said...

I found YOU!!!

And an all together handsome gentleman if I may be so bold!

Dagoth said...

Thanks Guys

Spidey - Actually most of the people are not dressed up and all are welcome. They do rent costumes right at the faire for people who want to get into it spur of the moment. Especially women will often come dressed as pixies, fairys, or gypsys which makes their clothing much lighter. It seems like the men are more likely to spend thousands of dollars on Real Swords, full suits of chainmail or armor. I don't know why they are held in the hottest months other than since they are outside it is the least likely time to get rain...

Liz - Sorry you missed your festival, I can imagine in Texas the heat would be pretty bad...I've noticed a serious foot thing going on around here and so I'm keeping mine safely in my boots...

Tai - Ye be way too kind, Thank You though...Somehow I suspected ye might be the first to find the chest (a good pirate knows how to find the booty...Hey! that didn't sound right!)...:)

Spider Walk said...

Dagoth,
Don't listen to Liz.
She's just jealous that her feet aren't as pretty as mine.--that poor girl...hahaaaa!!

And Liz? I DID not talk him into posting pictures of his boots! He is my kindred soul, don't ye know? :)

As to the cryptic "Dead Mans Chest" I know that means the "bottom of the sea" ...but I am such a wench that I can't find them.
I am sad.
:(

Tenacious T said...

Sounds like too much fun (except for the heat)! They have humidity way up there??

Dagoth said...

Thanks Guys

Spider - "Don't listen to her Liz, she begged & pleaded me for a nekid foot shot, but I told her I didn't have "those" kind of feet"...

Hit my "Flickr" Button in my sidebar...

T - If we had any more humidity we would be swimming...

Spider Walk said...

Dagoth,
I found ya on my own :)
Score one for stupid brunettes...lol!

It's so nice to have a face to to with the blog. You look like someone famous, but I can't quite put my finger on it??
Hmmmmm....

Dagoth said...

Hi Spidey

I know you are anything but a 'stupid brunette'...

Ernest Borgnine perhaps?...:0)

Josh said...

Spider maybe you ARE the foot fetish guy after all. Creepy! :P

Dagoth said...

Thanks Liz

Spidey doesn't look much like a guy to me...what's with all this foot fetishness anyways, was this in a previous post of someones?