Thursday, August 10, 2006

Linguistics

A few years ago I had the pleasure of going to Mexico. We stayed at a lovely resort hotel a couple hours south of Cancun. The very first night after settling in, we went to one of the hotel bars to have some fun and drinks. We weren’t at the bar more than a few minutes when a lovely couple came and sat down beside us. We immediately hit it off with them and began to have a great time together.

We started having rounds of “Tequila Boom-Booms” which are a shot of tequila, slow gin and 7-Up in a tall thin shot glass which is covered by a napkin and slammed on the bar which causes it to fizz up and you take it and quickly shoot it down. This became our drink of choice whenever we were together.

Every day we would go off and “do our own thing” but come evening we would meet up with them at the same bar and describe what adventures we had had that day to each other. We would spend the rest of the evening just having a ball, bar hoping, going dancing at the disco, whatever mischief we could find to get into together, and invariably closing down the last bar together before retiring.

Later I found out that they were on their honeymoon, and was surprised that they chose to spend so much time with us. We would even hang out together at the pool during days when we didn’t have something going on. I would have thought they would have wanted to spend time alone, as it was their honeymoon. We really did have a lot of fun together and it was very sad at the end of the week when we had to fly back home and leave them behind.

You might be wondering what is unusual about this, as people often make friends while off on vacation. We spent many hours together and really seemed to enjoy each others company, but our relationship posed one minor problem for us to overcome.

You see Antonio and Daniela were from Italy and did not speak a single word of English, and we were from the U.S. and spoke no Italian. The entire time we were together was spent “playing” a very elaborate game of charades, trying to communicate to each other. Though some things we were never able to communicate to each other, you would be surprised at just how well you can “talk” to each other if you try hard enough.

We did meet one fellow that worked for the hotel who could speak Italian and English (that is how we found out it was their honeymoon, we never could get that one across with charades). He offered to spend the week with us translating, but not for free. We declined his services because we were just having too good of a time together, with our own form of communication, and spent the rest of the week plying our charades and having a ball.

There is more than one way to communicate with people that don’t speak your language. We would never have met Antonio and Daniela if we had chosen to turn the other way that first night at the bar, just because we didn’t speak the same language...

10 comments:

Hope said...

Lovely, absolutely lovely!!

Josh said...

Sounds like great fun. I thought you were going to say they were swingers. haha Guess I better get my mind out of the gutter.

Tai said...

Oh! How much one misses just because they 'don't speak the language'.

I roamed around all over without speaking the lingo...and a better time I could have never hoped to have had.

It's such a pity that 'language' seems to be a barrier...it isn't really.

Dagoth said...

Thanks Guys

Hope - Thanks, I'm going to miss you while you're on vacation...

Liz - If your mind wasn't in the gutter I would accuse you of being an imposter...:) Actually they were an extremly attractive couple who...uh...er...nevermind...

Tai - I almost named this post "don't let fear or common sense stop you" but then figured I should really ask if it was ok first...

Spider Walk said...

This post so reminds me of the one I did about the Japanese pro-golfers who were at my place of employment for a week. The games of charades we played landed me their television show!

Like you said, there are many ways of communication, not just verbal language.

It is sad that your co-worker didn't venture out to explore. I bet one day he will look back on his experience and have HUGE regrets.

I am sure Antonio and Daniela brought back many stories and warm memories of you too. They sound like wonderful people.

It's too bad more people aren't more open minded. Just think how much they miss out on in life?

Coffee is on, and the creamer's in the fridge ;)

Tai said...

I would've have laughed and been flattered if you had!

Hey, next time...don't let fear or common sense stop you!

Belizegial said...

Hello Dagoth

I agree that there are certain barriers when in a strange country, but language should not be one of them. For example when you make a trip to Belize, you will find that the locals speak a broken kind of English (referred to as creole). However, we have big hearts and even bigger smiles and that is all that is needed to make our visitors feel welcome.

Belizegial said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Spider Girl said...

Dagoth, that is simply wonderful. I am so pleased you posted this experience.

I'm planning a trip to Italy next year with a couple of friends (Tai is one of them), but another friend is feeling a little hesitant because of the language barrier.

Tai and I have both been in many countries where we don't speak the language, and it just makes it more fun somehow.

Dagoth said...

Thanks Guys

Spidey - No matter how much we disagreed with him, it all made perfectly logical sense to him. He really needs to lighten up...As for Antonio & Daniela, We were never really sure what they thought of us, but I think they have as fond memories as we do...Keep the coffee warm for me...

Tai - LOL Ok, I'll remember that next time I want to steal something off of your page...:)

Enid - I've never been to Belize, but I have a firend who was and thats pretty much what he said about the people there...Thanks for pinning my map...

Spider - Your friend could get one of those electronic translaters if she's that worried, but I suggest against it, it would take all of the fun out of it...You can always take me along if you need someone who speaks fluent Italian charades...:)