Saturday, August 26, 2006

Scents in the Wind

It's hard to believe that next weekend is Labor Day already. The summer seems to have flown by so quickly. In my hometown fall often sets in directly after Labor Day. I have often thought it strange how suddenly it seems to change seasons around here, kind of like a door slamming shut. One day it will be summer and the next, fall, without much of a gradual change from one to the other. I have been seeing some small signs of the coming change though.

After our summer hot spell, the nights seemed to have turned much colder, making me close most of the windows before I go to bed. It will soon be time to put the storm windows down, enclose the back porch, and generally get this house ready to endure the long, cold winter months. I still have to get my pell
ets in for winter, since I use a pellet stove to heat my house, I'm very late on that. I don't want to have to heat my house with gas this winter; it would be way too expensive.

My red squirrel, "Oscar", has returned, I
hadn't seen him all summer and didn't know where he had gone off to. I was worried that maybe one of the hawks had gotten him, I'm glad to see he has survived. I saw him this morning for the first time, climbing around on "his" shed. He seems to have timed his return with my black walnut tree starting to drop its walnuts. I have to go clean out "his" shed again before he starts filling it up with walnuts for the coming winter, I'm not the only one around here getting ready for winter. I wonder if he's noticed that I have torn out half of the deck that he liked to romp around on so much, or how he feels about "Chubby" the groundhog who has taken up residence under his "shed". "Oscar" looks pretty fit; it appears that he found plenty of food over the summer. The last time I saw him was in the spring, when he looked awfully scrawny after enduring the long cold winter. I've noticed that "Chubby" has put on a lot of weight and seems quite ready for winter as well.

Lately I have noticed the flocks of Canadian
Geese gathering for their annual trek southward. Earlier in the week a large flock had landed up the street in a neighbors yard, that has a very nice pond. They apparently were visiting my neighbors' white geese, which live there all year, and were mingling among the rest of the flock. My neighbors' geese, which like to come out to the road and harass the cars as they go by, seemed quite happy to have the company. This morning two very large flocks flew over my house heading south; is it time for them to go already? Surely there is more warm weather left and plenty of time for them to make their migration. Perhaps these are just the "early birds" getting a jump on their long journey, or are they warning of an impending long and cold winter coming?

I have been feeling very rushed, of late, to get all the things done that I need to do, to prepare for winter. In this part of the country it's not good to have winter set in on you unprepared. We don't get many natural "disasters" here, like earthquakes, tornadoes or hurricanes, but if you get caught in a good blizzard, it can be just as dangerous. There is also the "sealing up" of the house, and the planning for how you are going to heat it, still to be done. I know there is plenty of time left, but I can't help but feel a little trepidation over what I know is on it's way. I often wonder why I live in this part of the country, when I dislike winter as much as I do. The only thing I can say is, this is home for me, and always will be, no matter what comes with the wind...

pictures provided by All Creatures

7 comments:

Hope said...

I, for one, will be thrilled to see the cooler weather that comes with autumn! I love autumn...it is my favorite time of the year. A break from the dreaded heat and humidity!!!! Cool mornings, cool evenings and days in between that don't suck the life out of you!

Josh said...

Do youo reall have to rub your fall in my face? In the last 140? days we have had 1 day below 100, a very breezy 98. And rain, virtually none since July 4th. When will it end? If history can predict, October. Grrr.....

It is a cute pic of the squirrel though :)

Dagoth said...

Thanks Guys

Hope - Actually since our real hot weather broke (about a month ago), it's really been beautiful weather up here, but fall gets very wet...

Liz - wow you have really been baking down there. The highest temp we have ever recorded is 100 and that has only happened on 3 days. If you are that tired of the heat you can come up here and stay with me in january when it's -14 degrees out and there is 3 feet of snow on the ground, I'm sure you will be rubbing my face in it then...You owe me 10$, I got an email notification that you posted on my blog and before I opened it I said "10$ says she liked the squirrel"....

Tenacious T said...

Awww - Mister Oscar is too cute! I can't wait for cooler weather and to be able to sleep with the windows open at night. I will actually get to see the seasons change this year - leaves of the trees and all. We didn't get much of that in Savannah.

Spider Walk said...

I love the change of seasons where I live. This time of year is much like yours Dagoth. One day it's hot and sweltering, and the next the trees are dropping leaves, and the squirrels go crazy preparing for winter.
Winter will soon be here, but I rather like the winter months. I love to snuggle up at night in a warm blanket, and watch the snow fall out the front window.
The only thing I don't like is that winter seems to last FOREVER!

Dagoth said...

Thanks Guys

T - Nows the time when we start closing our windows at night. It is very beautiful in the hills of Pennsyvania when the leaves change but it always makes me sad...

Spidey - Snuggling in the winter is it's one saving grace in my book. Yes, your weather is a lot like ours. Are you in a "lake effect" snow area?

Belizegial said...

Dagoth, catching up on your past post. Incidentally, I read this earlier in the week, but just remembered it when my younger daughter, marissa, asked me 'what animals need food in winter?'. I told her, hang on a minute, I saw something about this on Dagoth's blog.

I am so envious of your change in seasons. All we have down here in the tropics is baking degree hot, humid and rainy or deluges of rain to the point of washing out the streets. LOL